- Weather and Ice Conditions: The unusually mild winter has continued with conditions atypical for January, allowing for lighter attire. Despite this, ice on Inland Lakes around Hayward has remained stable, with about 12 inches of ice. It is advised to avoid areas with known currents, such as near bridges.
- Fishing Tips and Locations:
- Panfish: Good basin bite in 15 to 25 feet of water.
- Walleye: Active early and late in the day on weed edges, with success using tip-ups baited with sucker minnows or shiners.
- Chequamegon Bay, Ashland: Offers 16 to 20 inches of decent ice, though it is recommended to walk rather than drive. Excellent perch fishing is reported on weed beds in 12 to 15 feet of water, using small jigs tipped with wax worms or minnow heads, and small flashy spoons are also effective.
The video emphasizes the benefit of the mild winter conditions, allowing anglers to enjoy fishing without the need for heavy gear, while still maintaining good ice integrity due to the colder nights.